Saturday, January 19, 2013

First stitches

Look at that sad face. It breaks my heart.
Here's the story:
Big Sis, Lil Sis and their friend, K, were playing "horse" in the nursery while I was at a Relief Society activity. It was just the three girls, and Big Sis ended up as the horse, with K as the cowgirl. The rider was about 3 times heavier than Big Sis, so her chin hit the concrete floor pretty hard ... hard enough to create a deep oval hole.

I heard the screams and thought they were playing too loud, but waited for three promptings before I went to check on them (I feel terrible about that). It was obvious that she needed some medical attention ... thankfully, Michelle took Lil Sis to her house. Alex, E!, GPa and James were watching the Duck game at GPa's house - so E! stayed with James, and Alex met us at the hospital.
 
 
There was a lot of blood ... that was the clean towel.
 
The nurses were sweet and the numbing gauze set in.
 
We snuggled a lot while we waited our turn.
 
And the anti-anxiety meds put Big Sis into a fit of giggles.
Alex said, "You look like Captain Hook itched your chin." - that had her laughing.
 
The nurses "burrito" wrapped Big in a sheet and put a cloth over her eyes, and I was right close to her face (watching it all), asking math questions. She was able to focus on adding 15 + 7, and let the doc do her thing ... two stitches, one on each side of the oval, pulled everything together. It was pretty amazing to watch.
 
Since E! was at GMa/GPa's house, they were well aware of what was going on. In fact, they surprised us by being in the waiting room when we came out of the ER. Big Sis sure felt their love and support.
 
 
From this experience, I learned to follow promptings the first time (!!!), and I think it was teaching me to be more calm (I was surprised how freaked out I got ... and since this is kiddo #1, I have a feeling we'll have more experiences like this in our future). And I just adore my sweet Big Sis. She's so innocent and kind, with a big, sensitive heart. I love you, girl!
 

No comments: