Friday, February 01, 2013

Pilgrim Stories



We just finished reading Pilgrim Stories by Margaret Pumphrey, and I have to post my recommendation for it. This "living book" (as Charlotte Mason would label it) takes readers from England to Holland, then aboard the Mayflower, deciding on Plymouth Rock and then establishing the New World. It does a wonderful job of explaining the evolving relationship between the white pilgrims and the native Indians. It's more than 275 pages, but can hold the attention of my 4- and 2-year-olds while captivating my 7-year-old (it took us several months to read over during our lunch break). It teaches through details, active examples and memorable stories. I learned so much! Big Sis feels like she's been through it all and can carry on quite the conversation about it, if you catch her in the right mood.

Anyway, there's my glowing report. Go check it out from a library and see what you think.

No comments: